As the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic continues to spread throughout much of the world, healthcare providers are scrambling. Some elective procedures are being delayed, and some routine office visits are getting canceled.
The current pandemic got us thinking: is It really advisable to go out to doctors’ offices to get treated for regular illnesses? But some medical needs really can’t wait. What’s the alternative that allows people to get the routine care they need without going to a high-risk location?
One Solution: Telehealth
One solution that’s worth considering in this moment in time is telehealth. Telehealth, where medical care is delivered over the phone or via videoconference, has been around for years in one form or another, but it’s always remained a niche offering.
The current pandemic is causing providers to limit in-office visits considerably. As a result, many providers are examining telehealth more closely as a viable solution. What’s needed isn’t to reinvent the wheel. The technology already exists. What society needs today is a way to make telehealth accessible to every provider.
Large hospital systems can afford high-cost telehealth systems, but many smaller providers (like family doctors and nursing homes) cannot. The market is ripe for a low-cost solution.
At Pegasus One we can create and install a fully functional telehealth system within two weeks. Our systems retain all the components and functions of an enterprise-grade system and come in at a much lower price.
How We Build a Telehealth System in Just Two Weeks
So how do we move this quickly? We adopt a plug-and-play strategy. We integrate proven elements together with speed, delivering a final product that’s well built and easy to use. These are off-the-shelf solutions that can be quickly customized to your needs.
Here’s a quick summary of how we do it. We’ll break it down by functionalities and how those are implemented.
Components of our Telehealth System
- Intuitive Interface: We offer you a choice of several predesigned interfaces that are intuitive and easy to use. Once you choose, your user interface is implemented immediately. Of course, you always have the option to customize your user interface further. Some examples of our user interface options are attached.
- Live Video: In a telehealth setting, video serves as a substitute for an in-person examination for certain ailments. In situations where an in-person visit is impractical, impossible or unsafe, a video consultation is a welcome option. We integrate the functionality of leading videoconferencing services from Zoom. It’s a HIPAA-compliant system that enables you to meet all regulations.
- Scheduling: Appointments and scheduling are important in managing the inflow of patients and doctors’ workloads. This function is integrated into your app using leading services such as Appointy, Calendly, Google Calendar and others. Our system integrates with your existing appointment management software, too.
- Location Awareness: We’ve added Google-powered geolocation targeting (patients are directed to an office that’s near to them) to your app so your office is easy to find. It’s a solution that’s both elegant and inexpensive.
- Security: We understand that a telemedicine app is something that needs to be secure. Keeping patient data secure is of the utmost importance, so we use the best security protocols available to us. We secure patient data (Electronic Medical Records) in compliance with all regulations, including HIPPA, as required by law.
- Quick consultations through in-app chat: An in-app chat function allows patients to get answers to common questions without taking up your time. We use a healthcare A.I. bot that gives predefined responses to many common patient queries, giving providers more time to tend to serious patients. This chat function is integrated with providers such as Drift, Drip, Intercom and more.
- Payments: Using our platform, you can accept payments for consultation from within the app. We offer payment solutions like Stripe and PayPal, allowing you to integrate with your existing billing system easily. You can even implement automatic rule-based disbursal based on your priorities and preferences.
We combine all the features described and more into a fully functional telehealth system, customized for you. Our system is modular and highly scalable, and it comes with a low price tag due to the associated savings of using off-the-shelf items to form a bespoke solution, rather than building that bespoke solution from scratch.
How Telemedicine Is Being Used in the Context of COVID-19
During this global pandemic, telehealth is emerging as an effective and sustainable solution for treatment of many common medical ailments. By keeping more individuals at home and out of medical offices and hospitals, telehealth is helping to stem the spread of COVID-19.
Telehealth is also playing a direct role with some COVID-19 patients. Telehealth is bridging the gap between people, physicians and health systems, enabling COVID-19 symptomatic people to stay at home and communicate with physicians through virtual channels. In doing so, telehealth is again helping to reduce the spread of the virus to vulnerable populations and to the medical staff on the front lines.
In addition, the CDC is urging the public and medical staff to use telehealth solutions for non-urgent communication in an effort to reduce the pressures facing emergency rooms and clinics. By deploying telehealth solutions and programs, people who are suffering from other medical ailments during this time can receive care from home. By not entering medical facilities, these individuals minimize their risk of contracting the virus.
Interested in learning more? Contact us today to discuss how we can help you.